Frequently Asked Questions

See below for a variety of commonly asked questions...
Am I Covered When Renting A Vehicle On Vacation?

One of the most common misconceptions drivers make when travelling is assuming their policy automatically extends to rental vehicles. While your policy can extend to your rental, it requires the SEF 27 (Legal Liability for Damage to Non-owned Autos) endorsement to do so. SEF 27 covers rental vehicles within North America and is subject to limits and a deductible. For those who travel often and like to hit the road, Legal Liability for Damage to Non-owned Autos can often be added for as little as $50 annually. Contact our team today to learn more!

How Can I Protect My Home When I Am Away?

If you are planning on being absent from your dwelling for more than three consecutive days, especially during the winter months, there are few key things you’ll want to take care of to ensure your coverage remains intact. Please contact one of our brokers to review exactly what your policy wordings require. There are however a few things to help along the way.

  • Arrange to have the dwelling inspected by someone of a responsible age on a daily basis to make sure it is properly heated during winter months.
  • Shut off the main water supply to your dwelling and drain your appliances to reduce the chance of freezing.
  • Have your heating system connected to a monitored alarm that will alert an external company if there are any issues.

Failure to provide proof that sufficient protective measures were taken during your absence could put your coverage at risk. Learn more about out of town/absentee requirements by contacting our team now!

Can My Employees Drive My Vehicle?

If you plan on having an employee use your vehicle for work-related errands or activities, even if only on occasion, it’s important to advise your broker of any changes related to your policy. An individual commercial policy may not always cover your vehicle if an incident occurs when someone else is behind the wheel. Speak to one of our brokers now to find out if your policy needs an update.

How Do I Complete an E-signature?

We will make this quick and easy by posting this great video from OneSpan. Please have a look and let us know if you are having any trouble. Contact us HERE

I’m Renovating My Home…What Do I Need To Do?

If you are planning a large scale renovation or addition to your property that will increase the value of your home by $10,000 or more, it is crucial that you let your insurance broker know. Kitchen remodels, finishing the basement, additions and other changes to your home should be directly reflected in your policy to ensure that you have sufficient coverage in the case of a claim.

What Are All These 'Coverages' On My Auto Policy?

Feeling a little confused as to what all the special endorsements on your auto policy mean? We can help. Special endorsements (SEFs) are designed to add or remove certain coverages to your insurance policy. Common auto endorsements include:

  • Waiver of Depreciation (SEF 43): The waiver of depreciation is designed to protect brand new vehicles from losing their value in the event of a total loss as opposed to the vehicle being evaluated at its current market value at the time of a claim.
  • Loss of Use (SEF 20): Loss of use coverage helps cover the cost of renting a vehicle or other method of transportation should you lose access to your car in the event of a claim. SEF 20 is subject to reasonable limitations, and can be included in your policy at a low cost.
  • Reduction of Glass Coverage (13D): Removing glass coverage on your vehicle can help lower your premium but means that you will have to pay out of pocket for any chips, holes, or other damages that may occur. Please review with your broker what the limitations are.

To make sure you have the perfect coverage for your vehicle at the best rates, contact our team today!

I Want to Make my Home Eligible For a Home Sharing Service. What Coverages Do I Need?

If you plan on listing your home on a home sharing service like AirBnB, it’s critical that you disclose your intentions to your insurance broker. Home sharing is relatively new and as such, various insurers address the practice differently. Working with a broker can go a long way in making sure you have the best coverage, at the best prices available.

Want to Learn More?

Want to learn more about our customizable insurance options? Get in contact with us today to book a consultation with one of Ravenhill’s passionate insurance professionals.